The weather is not getting any better. It is hot, high 90’s to low 100’s. The nights are only getting down to about 75. Its tough to sitting or be outside just because of the heat. The plants are not thriving, but at least they are not dying. A few have died, but most are just staying the same. I have a yellow pear tomato plant with one tomato. But that poor tomato has yet to ripen. I think it may be just the heat.

 I have actually pulled a couple of the dead plants out of their pots. I had a tomato plant that was just a stalk so I pulled that out. I also pulled some of the parsley plants. They probably needed to be pulled sooner. But I have pulled the poor parsley stalks and put in new parsley seeds. Now the interesting thing – my basil seeds are doing well and growing. Not only that, the basil growing outside the greenhouse has not been eaten by the deer. Go figure.

 The deer have been eating the geraniums, most of the potted plants – dahlias, day lilies, cannas, but they have not eaten the purple verbena. I’m not sure about the apricot verbena, its alive but not doing great, but the purple verbena is thriving.

 Don’t leave the top dutch door open at night. The night we did that something got in and ate the tops of the meyer lemon trees. The next day when I checked the plants the lemon trees were definitely shorter. They didn’t seem to eat anything else, just the lemon trees.

 Speaking of the greenhouse, the pepper plant is just sitting in statis – not dying but not growing. The mint plant in the greenhouse is doing okay. Its a bit yellow, maybe too much water, but it is growing. Some of the runners are starting to wind around the pot and setting root in the soil. The beans and the squash plants are dead. The watermelon is not doing much, but one of the baby watermelons is starting to split – again maybe too much water. I’m hand watering the plants at this time. We don’t have the automatic watering set up in the greenhouse.

 We did bring the rosemary plant from San Antonio to Austin. It was living in the greenhouse there. Here it is living on the driveway and I’m not sure its happy there. It is in direct sun and not getting quite as regular watering. But at least its still alive.

 This week has not been one of my best. I’ve been sick part of the week, not eating, not going outside to check plants. I’m not sure if it has mattered to the plants. Maybe I have been watering the plants too much and being sick and not going out to check them has been good for the plants.